Orphan Grain Train volunteers have given more than 3,757,383.95 hours of work since 1992, sorting, packing, and shipping items with love and care. FY 2017-18 had 108,696.95 volunteer hours valued at $978,272.55 if paid $9/hour.
One 40-ft.-long ocean-going freight container will cost between $5,000 and $19,000 to ship (an average of $11 for each box of relief supplies shipped).
A total of 340 shipments were shipped in FY 2017-18, 115 to 25 foreign countries and 225 to domestic locations.
Other OGT Facts You May Want to Know
- Rev. Ray Wilke and Mr. Clayton Andrews founded Orphan Grain Train back in 1992.
- Orphan Grain Train serves 90 orphanages in Russia and former Soviet Republics.
- Last year nearly 4.5 million meals were shipped by Orphan Grain Train. More than 25 million meals have been shipped since the start of shipping meals in 2007.
- We are proud of our wonderful volunteers from coast to coast. Last FY 108,696 volunteer hours were donated by volunteers. That’s 298 volunteer hours a day!
- 225 semi-loads were delivered to children and families in need in the U.S. and 115 – 40 ft. shipping containers were sent internationally in the 2017-18 Fiscal Year.
- We do it all using only 1.7 cents of all donations for administrative and fundraising expenses. A full 98.3 cents of all donations goes for the mission of getting food, clothing, medical and other needed items to the people who need them.
- Last year more than $45 million of humanitarian aid and food was shipped worldwide.
Charity Navigator is America’s premier independent charity evaluator. They help charitable givers make intelligent giving decisions by providing in-depth, objective ratings and analysis of the financial health and accountability & transparency of America’s largest charities. Charity Navigator awarded Orphan Grain Train four out of a possible four stars. This high rating indicates that Orphan Grain Train adheres to good governance and other best practices that minimize the chance of unethical activities and consistently executes its mission in a fiscally responsible way. Please click on the logo to review our Four Star Rating.